Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Recommended books for theistic Satanists and LHPers

In the General feedback thread, asudarkdreams wrote:

Hello, this is my first post (question) so I hope it has not been asked too many times before. Since most occult books have been written or watered down by RHP authors, can you send me some recomondations? I just can't seem to find anything "different" at the stores I usually shop at.

First, I can't send you anything at all, because I don't have your email address. (Had you posted your request on my WordPress blog, I would have automatically been given the email address you used to register on Wordpress.com.) In any case, this is the kind of topic I prefer to discuss on a blog rather than via email.

Probably the best book for theistic Satanists these days is The Complete Book of Demonolatry by S. Connolly. I would also suggest other books listed on this page of the OFS Demonolatry site.

If Chaos Magick interests you, look into books by Peter Carroll and Austin Osman Spare. However, I would suggest first reading the online introductions to Chaos Magick listed on this page of my Theistic Satanism site.

If the Temple of Set interests you, look for books by Edred Thorsson and Don Webb. Also you might want to read Michael Aquino's Church of Satan history, which can be downloaded from this page on the Temple of Set site.

And, of course, no Satanist's library would be complete without Anton LaVey's Satanic Bible and Satanic Rituals. (Just don't regard LaVey's SB as an infallible "Bible," please.)

Other readers, feel free to recommend books in comments below.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not to sound too self-promotional, but I posted my Top 5 Books on Chaos Magick on my blog, Plutonica.net. It's a snapshot of five books a chaote shouldn't be without with my reasons why.

Book recommendations in general can be challenging if you don't know what the person is looking for - what they really want to get out of it. (I say this as someone who managed a bookstore for three years.)